Troop 99 has a long and interesting history. In April of 1940, the Catholic Big Brothers organization decided to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop at the St. James Protectory in Delaware City. St. James Protectory was an home for orphaned boys. The first Scoutmaster was Paul A. Bradley and his Assistant was John P. Connor. The first scouts were: Tindent Baffanco, Harry Flora, George Hobbs, Howard Jones, Paul Kane, Henry Kratzer, Francies O’Brien, Edward Reskowski, James Skillman, Vincent Ward, Anthony Bero and DeSales Bero.
In 1942, the troop was moved to the Edgemoor Gardens Civic Association. They sponsored the troop for one year. Allen H. Hart was the Scoutmaster. In 1943, Brandywine Lions Club took on the challenge until 1949.
Presbyterian Church of the Covenant became a chartered institution and opened its doors to the troop in 1950 and has held the charter ever since. Ernest L. Shukleworth was the first Scoutmaster of the troop in its new home.
From the beginning, Troop 99 leaders recognized the importance of "putting the out" in scouting. They participated in summer camp each year, conducted high adventure activities such as backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, canoeing on the Delaware River, bicycling along the C & O canal. They made excursions to Chimney Mountain in New York, Algonquin Park in Canada and the Virgin Islands.
Troop 99 has always maintained a high standard of scouting, consistently placing among the top troops in the Powder Mill District (previously Freedom Trail District). This was due to the high quality of leadership from both the boys and adults. Many of the adults have expanded their leadership and dedication to Boy Scouting by serving in District and Council positions. Several of our leaders have received the District Award of Merit and the Council Silver Beaver awards. Both of these awards are the highest recognition given to a volunteer. All of our Scoutmasters have been fully trained by the District Training Committee. Some have even gone on to participate in Woodbadge Training, which is a week long course, designed for the Scouter that wants to see that the principles of scouting are truly integrated into the Troop program.
The opportunity to advance to Eagle is offered to each youth. Troop 99 has over 175 Eagle Scouts. The first Eagle awarded by the troop was in 1950 to Dean Steele, who is now a retired physician residing in Arizona.
As a testimony to the high quality program which Troop 99 provides, a very high percentage of boys who become a part of the troop, remain until graduation from high school.
Our youth have entered University of Delaware, Del Tech, William & Mary, University of Pennsylvania, MIT, NYU, Warren Wilson, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Rhode Island School of Design, West Point, Air Force, Coast Guard and Naval Academies and many other schools of higher education. Many of our Scouts have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, aircraft pilots, mechanics, carpenters and other professions or crafts.
Our scouts have attended both National and International Jamborees, been to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, Sea Base in the Florida Keys, and have canoed the Boundary waters.
Many of the scouts have been elected by their peers into the honor camping organization called the Order of the Arrow. This is a secondary BSA organization in which the members have the opportunity to fellowship with youth from the entire council and hone their leadership skills, develop ceremony presentation abilities, and to provide "cheerful service". Through the years, over 1000 boys have walked through the doors to learn fellowship, leadership, cooperation, skills to survive and to have fun. Welcome to the BEST troop in DelMarVa Council, Troop 99.